Wednesday 18 May 2011

With the AIR family, Vijayawada

For the first time, I entered the premises of All India Radio office in Vijayawada, located just on the main road that runs through the city center - which I saw several times when I passed by, down the years. The entire community that lives(works, in a formal sense) within this quiet building appeared to me as a cheerful family. They welcomed me, greeted me and shared valuable time with me. It was unexpected and came as a sweet surprise this day.
I thought I was called just to record an interview but realized that there was a bigger picture only when I saw the entire family shared thoughts from experiences and there was an emotional bond amongst like-minded people. Like-minded coz, they were members of a happy family as I wish to see everyone as. There was exchange of thoughts, intellectual ideas at the micro-scale and almost thirty people did get an opportunity to voice little ideas - very valuable to me. I shall treasure this experience for the warmth and affection of uncles and aunts there - for being one among them for a while on this special day.
There were different flashes from their daily life - the recording room, the FM station. I found them to be quite well-equipped in comparison to the commercial stations which are housed in less than a normal-sized room space. Everyone took turn to say a word of encouragement and little caution and also gave me a feel of a sense of responsibility.
I did carry back home the images of the women staff in the office, along with a big garlanded portrait of Indira Gandhi. The unit was home for some reason, maybe for the smiles and warmth of all the members, who accompanied me and treated me like a daughter. Happy I was a family member there today.